I have never ordered a mystery box from Julep before, but when they came out with a space themed mystery box I knew this was the time to try it (I am a sucker for all things space themed). As usual, Julep offered 3 different levels of mystery box:
- Pluto Box – $19.99 with a $50.00+ value
- Cosmic Box – $24.99 with limited edition color Estelle and a $70.00+ value
- Supernova Box – $39.99 with limited edition color Estelle and a $120.00+ value
- Mystery Add-On – $9.99 with a guaranteed value of $36.00+
I went with the Supernova Box and the Mystery Add-On – go big or go home, right? I do want to point out that the values they promise are based on retail pricing and not the Maven discounted amounts.
My box arrived yesterday, and it was heavy!
First we have Julep’s Hand Model Set – $40.00, but on sale for $25.00. The set includes a glycolic hand scrub, a hydrating hand cream, and an oxygen nail treatment. I’m actually pretty excited to try this set out as my hands and nails are pretty messed-up from the acrylic tips I got for the wedding and all of the packing/moving activities. While I typically don’t purchase this type of product I am very excited to give it a go (hopefully during a puppy nap-time this weekend)!
Next we have Julep’s Moisture Mask Trio – $20.00. The set includes 3 single-use treatments of a hydrating mask for your nails, hands, and feet. The treatments take 30 minutes so I haven’t given them a shot yet – but the nails treatment claims to not interfere with touchscreens, so I can’t wait to see how they managed to work around that!
The Mystery Add-On turned out to be Julep’s hand and cuticle stick as well as Carrie (a classic cotton-candy pink crème). While I think it’s cool that Julep is really expanding it’s line of hand-care items, this is the third such item in this box – when they have such a variety of other beauty and skin-care products it was disappointing to receive 3 similar items in the same box. The hand and cuticle stick is currently $22, while Carrie normally retails for $14.00, but is on sale for $7.99.
Ok, now – on to the polishes!!!
- Estelle – A limited-edition full-coverage black holographic glitter ($14.00 estimated)
- Joanna – DUPLICATE from July Box – A lilac frost ($14.00)
- Clio (celebration) - Silver, pink, and lavender multi-dimensional glitter ($14.00 estimated)
- Veronica – A modern mauve crème ($14.00)
- America the Beautiful – Sterling silver stars with shiny red and royal blue glitter ($14.00, but on sale for $7.99)
- Blakely – A purple and green molten – DUPLICATE from July box – ($14.00)
- Morgan – A frosty grape purple shimmer ($14.00, but on sale for $7.99)
- Lacey – A midnight blue with purple shimmer ($14.00)
I have really mixed feelings about the nail polishes. Joanna, America, and Blakely are all from the July boxes (although I didn’t add America on in July, so I don’t count it as a duplicate) and I really don’t think polishes that were sent out 2 months ago should have been included in the box. I also don’t get how Veronica fits-in with the space theme. I was also disappointed to see that there were 2 polishes (3 if you count the mystery add-on) that were also included in the $7.99 sale. The duplicates will go into my regifting box, so the will get used eventually. I’m very excited to try out Estelle and Clio – looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me!
Even using the Maven/Sale value, Julep exceeded the promised amount of the Mystery Box (not so with the add-on), so I would definitely say I got my money’s worth. I would say that this box was an overall win, but based on the fact that I got 3 very similar skin-care products as well as 2 duplicate nail polishes I will probably wait awhile before ordering another mystery box (unless they do space again next month). I do consider Julep to be a great company, so hopefully the duplicates won’t occur the next time I get a Mystery Box.
If you would like to become a Julep Maven please be kind and use my referral link!
How I got these products: I paid for them myself. Julep did not ask me to write this review, nor was I compensated in any way.